Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a healthy and fulfilling life. According to the WHO, wellness is
“…a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
Maintaining an optimal level of wellness is absolutely crucial for living a high quality life. Everything we do and every emotion we feel relates to our well-being which in turn directly affects our actions and emotions. It is important to achieve optimal wellness in order to subdue stress, reduce the risk of illness and ensure positive interactions.
Stress can affect the chemical balance in the brain, leading to depression and anxiety. You may no longer feel like yourself and have difficulty enjoying life.
Here are some suggestions that could help reduce your stress level:
- Take time out: practice yoga, meditate, go for a walk, exercise, listen to music.
- Eat well-balanced meals and limit your caffeine intake. Avoid alcohol as much as possible. Watch a funny movie.
- Get enough rest and sleep.
- Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
- Build a support network. Surround yourself with friends who have positive attitude towards life.
Talk to a physician or therapist for professional help! Some people are biochemically out of balance, and may be suffering from symptoms of anxiety, depression, mood disorder or inattention. Professionals can help you reach your full potential through combination of medication and therapy options.